I’ll admit it. I’m more than a little frustrated about now. I have spent a considerable amount of time looking for the perfect application, widget, gadget, or whatever else you might want to call it that will allow me to easily share what I want, and how I want to do it, on the specific social media sites of my choosing. I still can’t seem to find it and I am hoping somebody will comment on this post with the solution I seek. Primarily through trial and error, here’s my established criteria:
- I want to be able to selectively share on Twitter, FaceBook, LinkedIn, or simultaneously on up to all three. One pass and one click. Check the boxes you want to share on.
- I want to be able to share content to include links, photos, videos, whatever, and all with one click from the web page that I may be reading.
- I will want this app to fill in the content name, provide a shortened link if applicable, and allow me to comment on the post.
- When I share content to FaceBook, FaceBook recognizes the link and does that “content conversion” thing to show what the post was about.
- This application will also provide me with a way to easily send just a written update to any or all three of these services.
- I am not interested in something that will also allow me to monitor feeds from these sites. I have other apps that already do that well and don’t need, or want, another.
- I’m looking for a magic “button” that resides on my browser.
Here’s what I am using and why they do not meet these criteria. Please note that, for the areas listed, if these apps do in fact have these capabilities, I sure as hell can’t figure out how to do it (smile). Your corrections and advice will be highly appreciated!
- TweetDeck or Seesmic: You need to cut and paste link info into the Tweet. Will also update to FaceBook but not to LinkedIn. Need to open the full client.
- SocialScope: This is a BlackBerry app. It is, without question, the best Twitter app out there for the BlackBerry. IMHO. It comes close to meeting my needs as a sharing platform, however, my BlackBerry is painfully slow on web page loads and I want a desktop app. This will also not update to LinkedIn.
- HootSuite: A great app and the Hootlet button is fab for grabbing content but, will not update to LinkedIn or FaceBook.
- Streamy: May be the closest thing on a desktop but will not update to LinkedIn and is a full blown Twitter / FaceBook client. It also includes, however, a great reader and you can import feeds straight from your Google Reader account if desired.
- Google Reader: They have just added a “send to” feature in Google Reader but it only works from within Reader itself and does not include LinkedIn. No way to send plain text updates.
- Digsby: I looked at this yesterday and had high hopes. It will share to all three sites and does so nicely. It is also a full client that seems to run in the background. However, it just did not seem completely polished and my computer speed seemed to slow down substantially. Maybe just me? FYI. This was the only app I saw that actually will monitor update feeds from LinkedIn.
- ShareThis: Works with all three sites and is a simple button on my browser. You do have to send different posts for all three sites, however. And, it does force you to send content to both FaceBook and LinkedIn. No simple text updates.
- GizaPage: If all you are interested in is having one page where you can go and tab click to each of your actual social media sites, look at GizaPage. This site is actually designed as a place for you to send folks to learn more about you and connect to you. One link on your signature line. However, if you go to the page it will recognize you as the owner (at least from your desktop) and then you can go to any of your sites and operate them just as you would if you went to them directly.
Here seem to be the two best for what I want to do:
- Hellotxt: This does not meet my exact specifications but it does allow you to update simultaneously to multiple sites, including LinkedIn, and include content on the updates. It’s really pretty cool. Check it out.
- Ping.fm: Very similar to Hellotxt. Practically a twin. Also has some interesting apps including HootSuite and I had noticed previously that these two have some sort of relationship.
Ultimately, all of this comes down to specific needs and applications. Each of these tools excels in different areas. You will probably settle on selecting a few.
Thanks for visiting!
Related articles by Zemanta
- I’m not sure what Streamy is, but it’s not FriendFeed (inquisitr.com)
- FriendFeed Alternative Streamy Hammered By New Traffic (mashable.com)
- Streamy Gets More Social, Instantly Becomes My New Start Page (techcrunch.com)
- Digsby launches URL shortener, adds global status update feature (downloadsquad.com)
- New ShareThis Widget (now with Twitter) (alexking.org)
- Google Reader Adds Social Sharing Options, Better Mark as Read and More (techie-buzz.com)
- HelloTxt Gives Admins the Ability to Post to Multiple Facebook Pages (insidefacebook.com)
- Update Your Social Networking Sites at Once With HelloTxt (geeksugar.com)
- Ping.fm + HootSuite: Distribute Your Tweets Everywhere (mashable.com)